100 other COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, including the 13th death in the province

0
0


TORONTO –
The total number of COVID-19 patients in Ontario has risen to 688, as health officials confirmed on Wednesday 100 new cases of the new coronavirus, including the 13th death in the province.
One of five COVID-19-related deaths in the province announced Wednesday was a 40-something resident in Ina Grafton Gage Village, a retirement home in St. Catharines, Ontario.

The person was receiving care at a Niagara hospital.

“On behalf of the hospital, I would like to express our sincere condolences to the patient’s family and loved ones during this extremely sad time,” said a spokesperson for Niagara Health in a statement released on Wednesday.

“We all mourn this loss as a community.”

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday afternoon, Ontario’s deputy chief medical officer of health said the patient died 11 days after being confirmed infected with the virus.

“This person has had close contact with a family member who has recently traveled to Europe,” said Dr. Barbara Yaffe.

No information has been published on the other four patients who died.

Toronto public health officials confirmed three new COVID-19 deaths in the city on Wednesday, but it is unclear whether these figures are included in the provincial total.

As the 100 new patients have been confirmed, authorities have said that more than 10,000 people are currently under investigation for the virus and more than 24,000 people in the province have tested negative so far.

New cases include 21 people in Toronto, 13 in Peel, five in York, four in Halton, four in Hamilton, two in Peterborough and one in Durham.

In addition, five new cases have been confirmed in the Kingston area, three more have been confirmed in the Porcupine District, two have been confirmed in Windsor Essex, Middlesex London and Hastings Prince Edward, and one has been confirmed in Wellington Dufferin Guelph , Simcoe. Muskoka, Haliburton Kawartha Pineridge and Timiskaming.

The location of any additional cases is listed as “pending”.

Thirty of the 100 cases are related to recent travel outside of Canada, while 22 are related to close contact with a previously confirmed case of the virus and the rest all have their means of transmission listed as “pending”.

COVID-19

Five of the new patients stay in hospital for medical treatment – they include a man and woman in their 50s in the Porcupine district, a woman in the 1980s in Middlesex London, a woman in the 1970s in the area from Halton and a woman in her twenties in the Peel region.

The remaining eight COVID-19 deaths in the province include a woman in her 90s in Durham, a city of Hamilton, Ontario, aged 80. a woman, an 80-year-old man in Lindsay, Ontario, a 70-year-old man in Barrie, Ontario, a 70-year-old woman in York Region, a 77-year-old Toronto man, a 51-year-old Milton, Have. a man and a 77 year old man, Barrie, Ont. man.

Eight people previously infected with the virus have since recovered in the province.

Symptoms of the virus, which can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath, are similar to other respiratory infections.

There are no specific treatments for the virus and there is no vaccine to protect it.

The Ontario government website advises people with symptoms of the new coronavirus to contact their primary health care provider or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here